This morning I saw a notice that SF Muni wants to change the #2 line.
Faster, more reliable service is coming! Uh no.
I think the proposed changes are lame for the following reasons listed in a rambling form ….
NOTE: I just saw that they’re discontinuing the #3 – so I need to rethink these notes below
NOTE 2: I just took a look at some of the other changes- Ugh – adding stops at Van Ness for the AX and BX lines?! Ugh, that’s worse than the following rant about the 2 Clement . Seriously? What’s the point of adding stops to an EXPRESS LINE?! Forget the rest of this rant.
1. Moving from an motorized coach to an electric one will actually slow the transit times. People take the #2 to various med centers near Japantown or downtown because it’s faster than the #1.
2. Moving to the electric line also severely limits the re-routing options during holidays/Sunday farmer’s markets/emergencies/etc.
2b. Also – Long-term, SF should start moving away from these overhead electric wire eyesores. They’re frequently problematic and busses get stuck behind each other (usually in Russian Hill). Whole bus lines can go down in the event of an emergency — or during more “quirky” SF events (Bay2Breakers, Outside Lands, etc).
3. The chosen route (K_OnOff_3 pdf) will duplicate some of the #1 line. Duplicates and possibly slows the #1 down even further as people will now have the new #2 to use as a possible inter-connecting bus. Should a #2 bus stall, the busier #1 line will have problems.
4. The #4 used to run part of this proposed route. Ridership dropped and the bus line no longer runs. If the #2 is dropping in ridership, canceling the line may be the better option as the area is already served by the #1, 1BX, the #3 and the #38, #38L, 38BX lines.
5. The proposed stop on 6th Avenue has limited hours in use in the morning by the 1BX and originally was not a stop for the 1BX, just the #4 until its cancellation. There is only room for 1 bus there in the mornings.
disclosure – I live near that stop that’s why I get annoyed by it- no notifications came out when they created it and moved the 1BX there.
Actually- it’s only supposed to be a boarding-only stop, but drivers frequently idle there instead of at 6th and Clement before starting their route. I’ve complained to Muni about this before, but they asked for a log of each bus number that was doing this. :/
Okay, I’m stopping my rants- when I was setting up the post and getting ready to copy the links to Muni’s pages I just realized they’re thinking of adding stops to the BX/AX lines on Van Ness